Each of the students participated in the Association’s annual scholarship challenge, which asks applicants to submit information about their community service and their academics along with an essay discussing their personal positions on body cameras on police officers. A panel of judges including Keating Wagner Polidori Free attorneys Larry Free and Christina Habas reviewed all of the applications before selecting the winners. Read more
Christina M. Habas
Phone/Direct Dial: 303-534-0401
Christina Habas is a lifelong resident of Colorado. She’s a former Denver District Court Judge, who is a passionate, effective advocate for her clients. She joined the law firm in 2012.
Christina went to law school because she grew up in awe of the power of the judicial process. At a young age, her mother took her on a field trip to the courthouse, and she saw one of the state’s first female judges at work. It was an experience that set her on a path for law school.
She started practicing law more than 30 years ago, and her love of trial work brought her back to private practice after serving on the bench for nearly a decade.
Over the course of her career, Christina has tried more than 100 trials as an attorney, and she presided over more than 200 trials in her time on the bench. Her love of the law and the courtroom has led her to work as a teacher of trial advocacy and practice around the world. Over the past 20 years, she’s taught some of the leading trial attorneys across the country, in addition to using her skills to help clients on a range of trial issues.
Once she decided to step down from the bench, Christina came to Keating Wagner because she kept in touch with one of her former students, Mike Keating, who persuaded her that this was where she should practice.
Her return to practice has included significant success, including a role in one of the top jury verdicts of 2013, according to Law Week Colorado. In addition, Christina is among the top ranking attorneys in the state as measured by her presence on the 2013, 2014 and 2015 Super Lawyers list. Her experience includes work on products liability, serious personal injury, and wrongful death cases.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Auto Defect
- Serious Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Products Liability Law
- Wrongful Death
- University of Denver, College of Law, Juris Doctor Degree (1982)
- Member, Honor Board (1981 – 1982)
- Winner, Intramural Mock Trial Competition (1981)
- Winner, Intramural Negotiations Competition (1981)
- University of Denver, Bachelor of Arts Degree (1979)
- Honors Program Scholarship (1975 – 1979)
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Board of Directors, Si Se Puede Law School (2015-present)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (1995–present)
- National Board Representative (2009–present)
- Committee Member: National Judicial Liaison Committee, Jury Innovations Committee and Long Range Planning Committees
- President, Colorado Chapter (2004) beginning with Office of Secretary in 2001 and moving up to Presidency
- Executive Committee Member (Co-Chair of Membership Committee) (2005–present)
- Coordinator and Chair of Teachers’ Law Schools (for both High School and Middle School Civics Teachers)
- American Inns of Court (1991–present)
- Doyle’s Inn (serving as President in 2003 -2004, as well as serving on the Executive Committee (2000–2006)
- Alfred A. Arraj Inn (2011–present)
- Faculty of Federal Advocates (1998–2003)
- Co-Chair (with The Honorable Kristen Mix, U.S. Magistrate Judge) of the Federal Employment Law Jury Instructions Committee (1999–2003)
- Colorado Defense Lawyer’s Association (1982–2003)
RECOGNITION AND AWARDS
- Colorado Women’s Bar Association Judicial Excellence Award (2010)
- Nominee, Colorado Judicial Institute Judicial Excellence Award (2010 and 2011)
- Finalist, Joint Committee of Senator Mark Udall and Senator Michael Bennett Search Committee for Appointment to the United States District Court (2010)
- Named one of 2012’s Top Women Lawyers by Law Week Colorado
- 2012 Recipient of the American Board of Trial Advocates Judicial Excellence Award
- Named to the list of Colorado Super Lawyers, 2013-2016
- Best Lawyers, 2015-2016
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- National Public Radio Essay, This I Believe: “The Importance of Jury Duty”, recorded May, 2009, kept on the website archive of the Project at http://thisibelieve.org/essay/10561/
- Colorado Lawyer, “Please Tell me a Story – The Power of Story in the Courtroom”, Article, October, 2006
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Article, “Case Analysis: It’s Not Just for Trial Any More” (2005)