Each of the students participated in the Association’s annual scholarship challenge, which asks applicants to submit information about their community service and their academics along with an essay discussing their personal positions on body cameras on police officers. A panel of judges including Keating Wagner Polidori Free attorneys Larry Free and Christina Habas reviewed all of the applications before selecting the winners. Read more
Michael O’Brien Keating
Phone/Direct Dial: (303) 534-0401
Mike Keating is a vocal advocate for his clients at every stage of the litigation process. Mike has been practicing law since 2001, and he developed his trial skills while working as a deputy district attorney in Adams County for the first four years of his career.
While in law school, Mike excelled in moot court competitions and was a member of the traveling national trial team with his school. Since graduating, he has acted a coach for that team, and he volunteers his time to help students build their trial skills.
Since joining Keating Wagner in 2004, Mike has proven himself as a trusted trial advocate. His experience includes litigation against Fortune 500 companies including Ford Motors, Kroger, and Qwest (now CenturyLink). He and Bill Keating won the largest personal injury verdict in Colorado history on behalf of their client, Andy Blood. Over the past few years, Mike has also successfully tried some of the top jury verdicts in the state in a range of different practice areas. In 2011, Mike secured the largest verdict in federal district court in Colorado, which involved a products liability case against Ford Motor Company. He also had the largest personal injury verdict in Arapahoe County in 2014 in a case involving the drowning of a teenager at a pool.
Mike’s continued success with products liability, utility and electrical cases, as well as with motor vehicle collisions, has earned him recognition by his peers and by nationally recognized attorney ranking publications. He was selected as one of Law Weeks “Up and Coming” Lawyers in 2008. He was selected as the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, “New Trial Lawyer of the Year” in 2010. He has been selected as a Rising Star in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. He was selected, alongside Deirdre Ostrowski, as a Barrister’s Best Overall Litigator by Law Week Colorado in 2014.
Outside the office, Mike serves as the secretary of the board for the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association and also serves on the board of the Legal Aid Foundation, which aims to increase access to justice for all people.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Catastrophic Personal Injury
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Premises Liability
- Wrongful Death
- Products Liability
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Colorado, 2001
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 2004
- University of Denver College of Law, Denver, Colorado, 2001 J.D.
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, 1997 B.A. English & History
Adjunct Professor, University of Denver, 2003 – 2006
“Preparing for Expert Depositions” Presented to the Young Lawyers Division of Colorado Bar Association.”Running a Law Practice to Running your Cases” 2010 CTLA seminar.
2010 Civil Law Update Presented at 18th Judicial Judges Conference.
LEGAL MEMBERSHIPS, ACTIVITIES & HONORS
- Denver Bar Association, Member since 2001
- Colorado Bar Association, Member since 2001
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association
- Thompson Marsh Inn of Court Member
- Board of Governors for the Colorado Bar Association representing the Denver Bar Association.
- Board Member and Executive Council on the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association.
- Member Supreme Court Jury System Standing Committee (Chair Justice Michael Bender)
- Colorado Bar Association Board of Governors, 2nd Judicial District.
- Denver Bar Association Subcommittee on Judicial Nominations (Chair Daniel McCune.)
- Co-Chairperson Products Liability Subcommittee-CTLA
- Thompson Marsh Inn of Court Member
- Selected as “Up and Coming” Lawyer by Law Week.
- Awarded 2010 “New Trial Lawyer of the Year” by the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association.
- 2010-2013 Colorado Rising Stars
- Colorado Super Lawyers, 2016-2016; Top 100 Lawyers, 2016
- Selected as 2014 Barrister’s Best Litigator along with Deirdre Ostrowski by Law Week Colorado
- Selected for inaugural edition of 5280 Top Lawyers Edition for Personal Injury
- 17th Judicial District Attorney’s Office, Adams County Colorado, Deputy District Attorney, 2001 – 2004
- Volunteer – Habitat for Humanity & Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Team in Training
- Volunteer – Brent’s Place